Saturday 6 August 2011

Victorian London guidebook

A little recommendation for anyone interested in running games in Victorian London: I've just been doing a bit of research on sourcebooks for the period, and discovered the wonderful looking "Baedeker's London and its Environs 1900". It's a hardback facsimile of a real guidebook from the time, and is readily available from amazon etc. And it's 512 pages, so I imagine it's pretty comprehensive!

Originally I was looking for something specifically RPG related, possibly the out-of-print "Cthulhu by Gaslight", but really I just want a book with detailed maps, and information about notable places, where one can buy things, and so on. It looks like this book will be perfect for the job! I just ordered it, so will post further information as to its RPG-worthiness when I receive it.

6 comments:

  1. I recently made a weird steampunk/fantasy pocketmod game called Gaslite and this would be a great supplement for me to design settings for the game. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice stuff, looks like the blog got a make over to match as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good find! Cthulhu by Gaslight is due for a new edition soon, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice find Gav, I have a copy of Gaslight back in Blighty, will pick it up when I pop back in September. -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice stuff, looks like the blog got a make over to match as well!
    Yeah I thought the previous header ("old-school fantasy, savage worlds, labyrinth lord, AD&D") wasn't very accurate any more, especially if I continue posting about Call of Cthulhu / Victoriana as well.

    Cthulhu by Gaslight is due for a new edition soon, by the way.
    Ah I did wonder -- it seemed strange that it was so long out of print when it's supposed to be one of the main eras in which the game is played. Though I think I have all I need now for the setting (assuming the Baedeker's book is good): game rules, check, detailed setting book, (hopefully) check, ideas for weird adventures, check :)

    I have a copy of Gaslight back in Blighty, will pick it up when I pop back in September.
    Nice one Steve! Would be great to have a look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the good thing about games like Cthulhu is that a real-world historical book will be just as useful in terms of setting as a dedicated supplement. The one clear advantage Gaslight will have over Baedeker is that it will have adventures, but that might not be a factor. It's also not entirely clear when the thing's supposed to be out.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.