Casting this charm upon a figure of freshly baked gingerbread causes it to come to life. The spell affects a single animal or humanoid figure, to a maximum size of 1'. Living gingerbread creatures have a movement rate of 30' (10'), an armour class of 9, 1d3 hit points, and cannot attack in any meaningful way. They are, however cunning (INT of 12) and very stealthy (able to go unnoticed on a 1-4 on 1d6).
The wizard who gave life to the creature is able to communicate with it via a limited form of telepathy which only functions when the two make eye contact (assuming the gingerbread creature has eyes of some kind) and enter into a brief hypnotic trance. The personality of the gingerbread creature is one of the following, determined at random (secretly by the referee):
- Loving. Wants nothing more than to cuddle and nestle with its creator.
- Duplicitous. Outwardly friendly to its creator yet secretly strives to undermine his plans. What does the creature do at night while mortals sleep?
- Adventurous. Lusts after travel and new experiences. Will abandon a staid creator.
- Contrary. Stubbornly refuses to obey its creator. If left to its own devices, may create beautiful things.
- Homely. Loves to help with household chores.
- Hateful. Takes pleasure in causing pain (especially physical) to living creatures, including its creator.
- Wise. Its head is empty of knowledge and experience, but the creature is surprisingly perceptive when asked for moral or personal advice.
- Demanding. Has extremely high standards of living. Will have tantrums if it doesn't get its way.
Living gingerbread creatures naturally perish after 24 hours, disintegrating into crumbs as the enchantment which binds them dissipates. They may, however, be kept alive indefinitely if fed small quantities of one of the following substances daily: mercury, fine rum, human blood. (The liquid stains their mouths.)
The spell may also be cast upon a normal loaf of bread, enchanting it such that the hair of anyone who eats part of it will turn permanently bright red.