Some initial ideas:
- Disappear in some freak act of teleportation
- Turn to stone
- Turn into a figment – cannot interact with anything, cannot pass through solid objects
- Kidnapped by shadows, demons, imps, etc
- Absorbed into the ground
- Fall into a faint and cannot be roused
Please provide further ideas... if we could build it up to d20, d30 or even d100 that'd be awesome!
(The concept is that the missing PCs should not be able to function as normal party members, or to help the PCs of the players who are present. The assumption is that in mythical realms like dungeons, the laws of normal reality are weakened and weirdness holds sway. So, pretty much anything goes.)
- Character is turned into a frog by pixies. Another character must carry them for the entire session.
- The character turns out to be a doppleganger. The real character is back at the tavern tied up and naked in the storeroom.
- The character turns out to be a doppleganger. The real character is held by monsters somewhere in the dungeon!
- The character was a hallucination of the other others and wasn't with them in the first place.
- Character and all equipment is transformed into a pink mule, complete with (empty) saddle bags.
- Turned into a gold coin that has fallen into the treasure when no one was looking.
- Abducted by scientists, via a time travel/teleportation device and subjected to annoying, tedious and ill-informed questions about "the past," then finally returned to his own time.
- Kidnapped by Glasya, daughter of Asmodeus, who needed a last minute date for a swanky party in Nessus.
- As above, but it's an intime soiree and the PC gets to sit at a dinner table with the Big Man himself.
- PC falls into a rupture in time-space and is immediately deposited at the time and place, most convenient for the DM.
- PC is abducted by aliens, probed, then returned.
- The gods decided to put mankind on trial. Guess who got to appear and testify for the whole of humanity.
- PC is whisked away to a dimension where they are fed midnight tomatoes by beautiful women, lying on a chaise longue.
- Character transformed into an incredibly lifelike tattoo on one of the other PCs.
- Character disappears and is replaced by a sheet of paper covered in stats describing their abilities and equipment.