Sunday 10 July 2011

Dungeon map

Spoiler warning: Players, this is the next level of the dungeon you'll be playing tomorrow! Shield your eyes!

I've never posted any of the dungeon maps I've drawn before, as I have no idea if anyone's really interested in seeing that kind of thing, but I just finished drawing one today and was quite pleased with it so I thought I'd share it.

It's intended as the 2nd level of a dungeon, and is keyed with areas 53 to 123 (so, 70 encounter areas). It could of course though easily be used as the 1st or any other level of a dungeon.

The main entrance is at the top left, via a set of slippery handholds in the rocks by the waterfall. Two stairways lead down to a deeper level, one in the middle of the map, and one in the top right corner. The whirlpool in area 53 also leads down to the third level.

You may note my use ungridded paper, which I find allows for a nice free-form feeling while drawing, and the unusual red / purple colour scheme. I did this once by accident while drawing in low light, and since then have taken it up as a tradition of sorts.

If anyone wants to use this map for their own purposes feel free!

14 comments:

  1. Nice map. Does this mean I can't join your game tomorrow anymore? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, yes I'd have to immediately sacrifice your PC to the god of dungeon masters for the forbidden knowledge you now possess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a thing of beauty, I'm glad you posted it Gavin. Hand drawn maps are so much more inspiring than computer generated ones. How do you handle describing distances to your players?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dave!

    Well, I just kind of eye-ball distances. My players aren't (thusfar) the detailed mapping types, so they rarely ask about precise measurements anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very nice work! Awesome map!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the secret door in room 114

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to see hand-drawn maps. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow thanks everyone! Obviously people do like seeing hand drawn dungeon maps, I'll be sure to post more in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Wow thanks everyone! Obviously people do like seeing hand drawn dungeon maps, I'll be sure to post more in the future :)"

    That does seem to be the case. To the point that it became the primary focus of my blog in the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any chance of posting the key too? I notice this is from a few months ago, so maybe it is no longer sensitive information in the game?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Brendan, I never fully stocked the level actually! It was level 2 of a dungeon my players were exploring, but they never found the way down to it, and then moved on to other things, so it remains unexplored and only partly keyed.

    I do have the map & key of level 1 though, which has been fully cleaned out, so I might get around to posting that. I would like to post a complete dungeon level. The main effort there is in typing up the extremely rough notes!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.