Tuesday 17 February 2015

D&D 5 Basic: Elf

Following on from my last post about a basic Dwarf class for D&D 5, here's my take on an Elf race-class.



You can download it as a PDF here.

Notes:
  • This is a high elf eldritch knight with the noble background, all rolled together.
  • Again, I replaced some of the equipment choices with suitably elfish options, in order to reduce the number of choice points.
  • Likewise, I pre-selected dragon chess as the tool proficiency, as that seems the most suitably fey / noble.
  • I made a small change to the mechanics of the class, removing the restriction on only choosing spells from certain schools at certain levels. I felt this was unnecessarily complicated and it would have pushed the description over onto a second page, which I wanted to avoid.
  • Some of the text was based on Konstantin M's marvellous condensed basic rules.

I notice that I feel much happier about the PHB, with all its options and lengthy descriptions, now that I see it's possible to also distill the material down to something simple and suitable for new players or just people who don't like spending hours crafting a character.

[All D&D 5 basic classes: Elf, Dwarf, Halfling.]

6 comments:

  1. That is pretty cool.

    I just posted on converting to 5e from 3e myself today and I have to agree the flexibility of this new D&D is something to be admired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tim, yes I read your post about the conversion. Sounds like a good move!

      I'm also impressed that the 5e rules can be boiled down to something so simple, and yet also support more complex character builds for those who want that.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew!

      I'll have a hobbit coming soon and have ideas for a gnome too. (I have a soft spot for gnomes.) I'll probably also do the human classes (Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Thief), just for the sake of completeness -- those are much simpler.

      Delete
  3. Love this and the Dwarf, will use them as the typical NPC of the class. Real Nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this and the Dwarf, will use them as the typical NPC of the class. Real Nice

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.