Monday, 20 May 2013
As you can see, there are still many many empty hexes. So far I've only marked on the most important features of the city, the landmarks which are known to anyone who lives there. As the campaign progresses I'll no doubt add lesser known features that the PCs come across.
Places of Note in the City of Tear
The Plateau of Radiance
The Great Hayyem Tree (1006) – The mighty tree which shades the imperial city and brings forth life from the barrenness of the desert. The holy waters of lake Jzan well around the base of the Hayyem.
The Floating Palace of Radiance (1007) – Built upon the pristine waters welling at the Hayyem's base. Here dwells Zyklor, God Emperor.
The Arch-Hierophant's Palace (0909) – On the west bank of the River of Tears, upon the imperial plateau.
The High Temple of Zyklor (1109) – Administrative centre of the Templars, on east bank of the river upon the imperial plateau.
Cliff Fortresses (0805, 1004, 1205) – An army of countless strength is maintained in these three fortresses dug into the cliffs at the north edge of the plateau of radiance.
The Military Quarter
Here lie the training centres, garrisons and military academies of the Templars.
The Garrison (1310) – This vast and forbidding fortress stands on a hill at the base of the Plateau of Radiance, looming over the city.
City Grain Stores (1211) – For use in times of famine or strife, the Templars keep a stockpile of grain in these large sandstone buildings.
The Silent Quarter
This district of Templar necropolises and libraries lies nestled between the western wall and the cliffs of the Plateau of Radiance. A few residences are also found here, of a few selected upper-class citizens who are close to the Templar administration.
The Tomb of the Faithful (0707) – A private temple where the remains of Templars for many generations past are interred.
The Inner Temple (0708) – The fortified library and records bureau of the Templars. It is rumoured that records on every citizen of Tear are kept here.
A semi-derelict city district, where the lowest of the low dwell in abject poverty.
The Chasm of Skulls (0508) – In the midst of a ruined plaza yawns a wide pit lined with skulls. The chasm is of unknown antiquity and origin, and most sane folk avoid it entirely. A spiral stairway descends into the depths, and rumours speak of a cult dwelling in these ancient catacombs who can revive the dead.
The Floating World
A district dedicated to the whims and fancies of the richest inhabitants of the city.
House of the Serpent (1608) – A walled palace where the city's elite indulge in unknown pleasures in the exotic glades, gardens, spires and halls of the mysterious Serpent Mistress.
The Flak District
Populated mostly by workers in the city's steel mines, this grim and crumbling district also has a strong military and Templar presence.
The Jade Asylum (1808) – In addition to the “treatment” of the critically insane, this forbidding, monolithic fortress is rumoured to also be used as a prison for political dissidents. The name of this awful place is presumed to be ironic.
A city quarter with wide thoroughfares and a profusion of inns, taverns and entertainments. The long desert road from the Gardens of Zinn enters the city here.
The Plaza of Silks (1912) – A busy and vibrant square, surrounded by inns on all sides, and filled with musicians, entertainers and spectacles of all sorts. A wide road leads from the plaza to the East Gate, leading into the merchants' district.
The Imperial District
The River of Tears (1008 to 1117) – The holy river cascades from the Plateau of Radiance into the upper city, eventually flowing to meet the Water Ziggurat. Hundreds of streams and canals branch off from the river, and flow into the city's subterranean water system.
The Chapel of Pristine Mercy (0912) – Located at the base of the Plateau of Radiance. Primary temple and convent of the Sisters of Mercy.
Imperial Arena (1313) – Hosts gladiatorial battles – the city's most popular form of entertainment, frequented by poor and rich alike.
The Water Ziggurat (1117) – Holiest temple in the city, central barracks of the Templars. Great prison complexes lie beneath the pyramid.
The Watching Tower (1216) – A tall windowless monolith which stands close to the Water Ziggurat (1117). Psionicists sense a strange watching presence in its impenetrable interior.
The Bridge of Thieves (1113) – An ancient, elaborate and crumbling bridge crossing the River of Tears. Condemned prisoners are hung from high pylons here to die in the scorching sun.
The Prophets' Bridge (1015) – A wide bridge on which sermons are held by zealous templars. It is said that the mortar of the bridge was made from the bones of those who died in the service of Zyklor.
The District of Sighs
A middle-class residential and entertainment quarter.
The House of Om-Li (0610) – The most famed inn of the city. Well-to-do travellers and merchants favour this sprawling complex above all others.
The Gardens District
The Sedant Glades (0812) – A large meditative garden and woodland maintained by the Sisters of Mercy.
The Pools of Pandarme (0813) – A meandering series of pools, canals, tea houses and inns, owned by a conglomerate of merchants.
The District of Wells
East of the River of Tears and the imperial district, an old quarter of the city filled with wells and fountains. This is primarily a middle-class residential district.
Emerald Baths (1415) – Public bath houses with natural hot springs.
The District of Flame
So-called because of the traditional profusion of candle and incense makers in this part of the city, as well as a large number of votary shrines. The shrines here lack the ecstatic fervour of those found in the Shrines District proper, catering instead to the refined tastes of the middle-classes.
House Amber (1614) – The headquarters of this noble house, whose main interest is in the trade of jewellery, precious stones and fabrics. The complex is extravagantly decorative, with spires, domes and high bridges around a central garden.
The Palace of Oord the Magnificent (1515) – Arguably the city's most famed sorcerer (though, as many who are in the know claim, far from its most learned), Oord the Magnificent makes his home in this opulent palace of white marble. The arch-sorcerer specialises in the breeding of new animals for their beauty, and finds custom with many upper-class individuals who desire to purchase his wondrous creations.
The Merchants' District
Headquarters of the Slavers' Guild (1511) – The slavers' fortress, formed of black basalt and carved with cathedralesque intricacy, bewildering spires and turrets.
The Slave Markets (1513) – East of the arena, and south of the slavers' guild headquarters. Slaves of all races and specialities can be bought here.
The Forge District
Where specialists in metalworking and glass-blowing live and work.
House Pharm (0514) – Seat of the powerful guild house which operates metal refineries and the steel mines to the north-east of the city.
The Guild District
The Hall of Records (0715) – An opulent building constructed of ancient violet marble. Houses the libraries and administrative offices of the Templars and the guild houses.
Guild Hall Prime (0815) – Contains the meeting space where the most powerful guild houses (called the “noble” houses) meet with the Templars to decide matters of city management.
Draagij's Emporium (0718) – Sells genetically tailored plants and animals to the rich for exorbitant prices. The laboratories of Draagij are staffed by the sorcerers of House Mexc.
House Mexc (0818) – Base of this powerful noble house which governs much of the agriculture surrounding the city. Many sorcerers are known to be in their employ. It is rumoured that the sorcerers of House Mexc may be dabbling in the forbidden arts of the genetic manipulation of humans.
The Oil District
A strange mixture of the rich and the destitute, this district is where the product of the oil fields to the north-west of the city comes for processing and sale.
House Merlock (0311) – The oil barons' fortified home.
Hades (0312) – Smoking towers full of oil, soot, and flame. The refineries are powered by the slave labour of House Merlock.
The Ash District
Where the filth of the oil refineries to the north and the forges to the east congeals. A highly undesirable residential area where crime is high and life is short.
The Worm Vats (0412) – A hive of tall towers and deep pits where various insects, worms and maggots are bred.
The Lanterns Quarter
This lower class district is a dangerous maze of streets, filled with taverns and entertainment of a seedy nature.
Red Square (0316) – All tastes are catered for in the brothels and pleasure taverns surrounding this notorious square.
The Mud District
Home to a variety of industrial activities, the streets and air of this quarter are filled with red dust. Many lower-class workers also live in this district.
The Dag-Orm Brickyards (0219) – Principle brick manufactury of the city.
The Silk District
A quarter dominated by luxurious trade establishments, artisanal workshops and especially silk-workers.
The Worm Glades (1616) – Gardens owned by the silk merchants. The trees here are grown as fodder for the silk worms.
The Towers of Haam-Om (1517) – Principle silk manufactury of the city, these tall towers, decorated with fluttering banners, house the worms and their precious cocoons.
The Artisans' District
The Spice Markets (1619) – Spices, exotic plants, incense, perfumes and drugs are all found here.
The Stable District
A working-class residential district interspersed with stabling facilities for a variety of beasts of burden. The stables are used primarily for the care of merchants' beasts, after their long treks through the desert.
The Ixilot Yards (1919) – A fenced series of large yards and enclosures where the greatest of domesticated animals are tended. The bellowing calls of the ixilots can be heard throughout the district.
The Bards' Quarter
One of the busiest quarters of the city, this riot of tall, archaic mud-brick buildings houses a multitude of taverns and inns. They are renowned for the quality of the musicians and story-tellers who frequent them.
The House of Scribes (1915) – A tall building of many galleries surrounding a central plaza. A small fee allows entrance to the building, where poets, sages, prophets and story-tellers gather to speak to the crowds.
The Canals District
The Walled Gardens of Phantalme (0518) – Luxurious retreat for the moneyed. The gardens are said to contain plants and animals of fabulous exoticness.
The Pagoda of Masks (0619) – Infamous and exclusive pleasure palace. Guests are required to remain masked at all times.
The Scholars' District
The Manse of Lazd the Abstruse (0419) – The streets around the great sage and sorcerer's abode have taken on something of his silent and mysterious character. Lazd's birds, arrayed with rainbow hued feathers fly freely here.
The Lizard District
On the edge of the city, this district specialises in the breeding, taming and slaughter of lizards of all kinds.
The Race Arena (0521) – Screaming crowds gather here daily to watch semi-combative races of moik and ork riders.
The Blood Quarter
The Blood Ziggurat (0522) – Where sacrifices of animals and slaves are made to the great God Zyklor.
Slaughter Square (0423) – Blood runs through the gutters of this square, where stalls sell the carcasses of freshly slaughtered animals. The establishments in the streets around the square specialise in salting, curing and smoking meats.
The Beast Markets (0524) – Located just south of the Ziggurat of Blood. In addition to sacrificial goats, a wide range of domesticated and wild lizards can be found for sale here.
The Pyre District
The Towers of Ash (0820) – The oil fires of this crematorium spew streams of smoke and ash into the sky 24 hours a day. This is the lowest-class form of death rite. Run by the mysterious Brotherhood of Ash – a sub-sect of the Templars.
The House of Ash (0721) – Alms house and hospital also run by the Brotherhood of Ash.
The Sorcerers' District
The Black Plaza (1022) – The desert road passes through the gate of the sphinxes and leads directly into this wide flag-stoned square. An unnatural shade hangs over the plaza, making it a pleasant spot for relaxation, despite its slightly unnerving atmosphere. At night the plaza is shunned by all sensible folk. Rumours tell of abductions and dark cults.
The Catacombs (1122) – This eerily named residential district contains a jumble of decaying houses built atop one another. Some do indeed dwell here in a level of subterranean habitation.
The Imperial Academy of Sorcerers (0923 & 1123) – Twin towers of staggering height and forbidding aspect, standing aside the ancient Lunar Stair.
The Lunar Stair and the Gate of the Sphinxes (1023) – The gargantuan ancient southern gate of the city. Carved from dark red stone, and weathered by millennia of sand and wind.
The Commerce District
The Grain Markets (1121) – Just north of the Gate of the Sphinxes.
The Old City
Square of the Ooms (1421) – Five ancient 30' tall stone statues of humanoids with animal heads stand in this square. They are known as the Ooms and are regarded as overseers of the city district. It is said that one day the Ooms will fall, and this will prophecy the final destruction of Tear.
The Shrines District
A run-down quarter of the city, where a proliferation of shamanistic cults, religious sects, seers and prophets gather.
The Nectar Ziggurat (1521) – Place of worship and training complex for the legendary Concubines of God.
Chal-Ni Oasis (1522) – Ecstatic cult based around a series of healing pools and springs. Run by the “Baron”Bagwan Abramah.
The Houses of Bone (1722) – Tall, twin buildings with an arched alley between them. Houses the remains of the city's wealthier dead in its crypts and vaults.
The Wall of Shadows (1423 to 1922) – Partly ringing the city's south-eastern edge, this ancient wall is made of the same stone as the Lunar Stair. Upon its surface can be seen blasted outlines of giant, spined monstrosities.