Sunday 20 August 2017

B/X Essentials: Encumbrance Preview!

I recently received the first batch of finished illustrations for the first book in the B/X Essentials line: Core Rules. This batch included one of the largest pieces in the book, which slots into a very odd-shaped space on the spread where the (optional) encumbrance rules are explained. I'm extremely happy with how this spread looks as a whole, now that the illustration is in place. Have a look:

(Click to enlarge.)



















In addition to marvelling at the delightful art by Thomas Novosel, I'd recommend comparing the explanation of the encumbrance rules here against the original rules (see page B20).

Encumbrance -- as specifically explained in B/X -- is one of those rules that seems simple enough, on the surface, but once you start trying to figure out exactly how it's supposed to work, things gets pretty confusing. To be fair, the B/X books are generally very clearly written. There are areas, though, like this, that are not at all clear, without some prior understanding of what is being described. I've made a great effort to clear up any areas of confusion or ambiguity like this, in B/X Essentials. I hope this spread provides a good example of this and of how the presentation of the Basic/Expert rules can be improved upon.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice! I especially like option as that's very similar to what I do at my table in B/X and 1E: speed rate determined by armor and if I feel you're carrying significant extra, I drop to the next movement rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a really nice rule, hey. An encumbrance system simple enough to maybe actually be used!

      Delete
  2. I really like what you are doing here. The writing is clear, but equally so is the presentation. Many attempts at terse writing end up becoming very dense in its presentation, but this is not the case here. The whole spread comes across as very light and easy to digest.

    Also love the illustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good to hear it's achieving what I set out to achieve!

      Delete
  3. Great lay-out on the rules there. You make this fairly easy to use at the table, which is very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, my aim is for ease of use at the table, so good to hear this achieves the goal!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.