- Continuing my Ix / Dying Sun campaign. The PCs are now hovering at the border of 5th level. By means of advanced XP granting techniques, I'm hoping we'll get into the high levels (15th+), and potentially some epic events, by the end of the year.
- The Complete Vivimancer is in the process of being illustrated by the illustrious Cadanse D. We're hoping for a late January / early February release on this one.
- I'd like to release a free PDF supplement of vivimantic material -- adventures, monsters, magic items, random tables, etc (see here for more details). I already have some nice submissions from Derek Holland, Noah Stevens and Alex Schröder, and will add some stuff of my own. If anyone has any ideas for something they'd like to submit, please send it my way!
- Project codename Wormwood, a micro campaign setting which I've been working on with Greg Gorgonmilk, is bubbling away, and may possibly be ready for publication this year. We're both planning to run some games in the setting soon, in my case probably using the LotFP rules (plus some house rule tweaks).
- Since finishing the writing of The Complete Vivimancer, I've been contemplating starting on another such supplement. Many different types of specialist wizard have been vying for my attentions... diabolists, elementalists, illusionists, necromancers, thaumaturges... I've even thought about having a go at my own take on the semi-classic alchemist class. In the end, however, it seems like the elementalist has won over. Today, in fact, I have started playing around with spell lists, rules for single-elemental specialists, and ideas for new spells. See below for a little taster.
- I've also thought about writing a supplement on "priests of specific mythoi" (to use the 2e terminology). I have some vague ideas for this, but nothing committed to virtual paper as yet.
- And lastly, I have a few ideas for small adventures I'd like to publish in some form. One is actually half-written already, so just needs dusting off and finishing up.
Here's an example of one of the new elementalist spells I've been coming up with. It was inspired by the druidic purify water, but has been adapted and expanded for elementalists.
This spell has the effect of purifying quantities of elemental substances. It can affect matter of all four elements, the exact target chosen as the spell is cast. The effect of the spell varies depending on the element upon which it is cast, as follows.
Air: Poisons are removed from the air in a 10' radius. Alternatively, stale air in a 10' radius area may be refreshed with oxygen, making it once more breathable.
Earth: Impurities in a 2' cubic area of earth, stone or metal are removed. Valuable ores and minerals can thus be cleanly extracted.
Fire: The heat of a single normal (i.e. non-magical) fire of up to one cubic foot per caster level is intensified, burning fuel at twice the normal rate. The affected fire, when used in combat, thus inflicts +1 damage, and gains the ability to harm creatures which are only affected by magic. The flame of a burning torch counts as one cubic foot of fire. Purified fire may also be required by various magical processes.
Water: Up to four gallons of liquid per caster level are rendered safe to drink. Poisons and toxins of all sorts are removed.