Friday 24 August 2012

New One Page Dungeon

Players in my games -- Nothing to see here, move along!

In the planning of my upcoming Dreamlands campaign, I'm intending each level of dream to be a wilderness area scattered with many interesting encounters and/or dungeons. The idea being that PCs can choose to dip into any of the dungeons they come across, exploring more deeply in any which take their fancy.

So, what I need is a lot of small dungeons, and a few larger ones. The larger ones I'm quite happy to take from published sources (Fight On!, for instance), and there are plenty of one page dungeons around which I could slot in as well. But of course, I want to create some small dungeons of my own to give the flavour I'm looking for.

With this in mind, I've conceived a new way of writing adventures -- speed dungeons! The concept is to map and fully key a dungeon (or as far as possible) in an hour or less. So, a single sheet of paper, with a quickly drawn map and loads of scrawled notes all over it.

For the interest of other DMs, I present the first fruits of this experiment -- The Caverns of the Silver Men -- a mini-dungeon which I created last night in about 50 minutes.

I'm not sure if it'll be particularly comprehensible to anyone else, or if you'll be able to decipher my hand-writing, but please check it out if you're interested!

6 comments:

  1. Like it! All you need, and enough things to play with... for PCs and DM alike.
    I would propably go with a little more greek architecture vibe, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear it's comprehensible!

    And nice idea about the Greek architecture vibe... some columns and such could easily be ad-libbed in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you start completely from scratch or did you have an idea of the theme before the 50 minutes began? Either way, it's great stuff. The statues are a hoot, and as for "toilet of silver men / acid piss" ... Pure poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have a theme in mind at all... just an image of a well in a forest with a dungeon under it. I actually find quite often that when I have too many pre-ordained ideas about a dungeon that it's harder to bring it to fruition (procrastination / perfectionism tend to set in), hence this experiment at writing in a quick burst of creativity. Hopefully it wasn't a one-off, and I'll be able to continue with the technique.

      Glad you like it!

      Delete
  4. I sometimes find that such a quick burst of creation results in better work than many painstaking hours. Not always, but sometimes, and I think you have a sometimes here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. I have the same procrastination / perfectionism problems when I sit down to work on a dungeon or wilderness zone.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.